The Dart River Wilderness
Mt Aspiring National Park is a stunning backdrop for a jet boat adventure. There are a couple of great ways we recommend to explore and travel into pristine uninhabited wilderness areas: on a jet boat safari, or add a glide down the river in a ‘funyak’.
Dart Wilderness Jet
CLICK ON THE LINK TO WATCH THE BEAUTIFUL SCENERY WHILE TAKING A JET SAFARI ADVENTURE
An exhilarating and spectacular journey deep into the heart of the world-renowned Mt Aspiring National Park with the only jet boat operator allowed on the Dart River. The sheer diversity of what’s on offer means you experience a unique combination of breathtaking scenery matched with exciting jet boating on braided, glacier-fed rivers. Guides share the history of the area, the Greenstone trail and Maori legends. Walk amongst ancient beech forest unchanged for 80 million years and view the scenic backgrounds for many Middle Earth movie scenes. An authentic New Zealand experience in an untouched world.
- Scenic drive Queenstown to Glenorchy, one of the world’s Top 10 scenic drives
- Thrilling high-speed wilderness jet boating skimming across the clear waters of the Dart River into the Te Waipounamu World Heritage Area
- Learn about about flora, fauna and history on a guided 30 minute forest walk
- Travel a backroad tour of Paradise, taking in scenes and backdrops from The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies
- Learn about the Pounamu (Greenstone) that made the Dart River a key trading route for early Maori and tales of early settlers who carved rich farms from the rugged landscape
Dart River Funyaks
The trip that has everything – a unique, fun journey combining nature with adventure. The Dart River Funyak is a journey into Mt Aspiring National Park with a gentle paddle on crystal clear waters. This soft adventure in New Zealand’s spectacular high country combines wilderness jet boating with unique ‘Funyak’ inflatable canoes for a fun way to explore the Dart River as well as hidden side streams, rock pools and dramatic chasms. Enjoy the peace and tranquility of this stunning area at your own pace as you float downstream on sparkling water, then enjoy lunch before heading past ‘Paradise’ and on to Glenorchy.
- Lakeside scenery on the drive from Queenstown to Glenorchy, one of the world’s top 10 scenic drives
- Scenery and backdrops from The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies
- 1 hour of high speed wilderness jet boating through the clear waters of the Dart River into the Te Waipounamu World Heritage Area
- Professional, friendly guides take you on an inspiring adventure as you gently drift in your own Funyak